Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Ticky Tacky

My childhood has just been shattered! When I was growing up my family often did "sing-a-long" while we drove down the road. My parents liked to sing and it kept Alyson and I from fighting (mostly) so we sang silly songs. One of those songs was the ticky tacky song. As a kid I never really paid attention to the lyrics but to this day I remember all the words.

The other day I was listening to one of the local radio stations and the topic of the afternoon was favorite TV theme songs or jingles. Callers would say which song they hadn't heard in a while and the radio station would pull it up from YouTube and play it. So this one lady calls in and requests the theme song from "Weeds" and what do you know but they play the ticky tacky song I knew as a kid.

I had never heard of "Weeds" so I figured I would research this show that used one of my favorite childhood songs. YEAH it's about a suburban mom who sells marijuana! WHAT?!?! I thought this was an innocent song about ticky tacky (whatever that is) not about the illegal drug market. What were my parents thinking?!?!

Anyhow, for those of you who are interested, here is the now infamous ticky tacky song.

4 comments:

A Farmer's Wife said...

I'm so totally out of it that I've never even heard of Ticky Tacky! Thank you for enlightening me once again!!!

Rebecca said...

I would have never known it was about drugs either. You can just think that it is about whatever you want, its a childhood memory and you can't change that!

Amanda said...

"Weeds" is actually a newer show...so I don't think the song was from that, I think the producers used it for their purposes! I agree - think of it as the innocent childhood song you once knew. Chances are...it really IS innocent anyway.

Kelly T said...

I agree with Amanda - I was going to console you that I think the show came around much later than the song. No worries, mate - innocence restored!