Saturday, December 19, 2009

Rowing

I haven't posted in a while so I thought I would update on my rowing. I've learned a lot about this sport over the last few months which has been a lot of fun. It's not very often I get the chance to be immersed in a completely new activity.

Today I did my first 20 minute Erg test. The Erg is the real name for the rowing machine that typically sits lifeless in a gym because most people don't know how to use it. However, the Erg is interesting because you can get a cardio and strength workout simultaneously. Bottom line, if you use the machine properly it will kick your butt!

Anyhow, back to the test. The goal was to Erg as fast and hard as you could and be able to maintain that pace for 20 minutes. Since I didn't know what I should be aiming for my coach suggested I try to keep a 2:22 split. That means I can row 500m in 2 minutes and 22 seconds. Halfway through my piece my coach asked how it felt and based on my reaction she had me step it up to a 2:20 split.

The workout was really hard but my problem has been I don't know what's "good". So I cornered my coach and what I learned today will really help. To compare rowing to running I know I can run a 9:30 mile and keep that pace forever. I may not be fast compared to other people but I know if I'm going to run a distance race that's the pace I will set for myself because I'll be able to finish and have kept my pace the whole race. Today's Erg test was designed to find my "9:30 mile pace" for rowing. Right now my pace is about a 2:21 meaning I can row that pace for as long as I need to.

Now the next question is if this is a "good" pace. Apparently female rowers who are Olympians or who are at the top colleges on scholarship will have a flat 2 minutes or below split time. So, as in running, I'm not fast but I do know that I can keep my pace for a long time. And now I have an idea of what kind of time I should be shooting for when I take my next 20 minute Erg test.

Sorry it was a boring post. I promise to have something more interesting soon!

3 comments:

mistymadisonjo said...

Okay first of all, you are rowing - a sport very few people attempt. I think it is awesome that you are doing this and you are doing very well at it. Second of all, you are awesome!

Clay said...

You rock honey ... starting a new sport like you did, and doing well just shows how much of a natural athlete you are.

Ogday in Montana said...

Great Job!!! I can't wait to see you out on the river!!
Love ya!!