Sunday, April 03, 2011

Somethin's Cookin'

Happy early birthday to me! So far the lead up to turning 31 (shhh..) has been AWESOME!

Let's start with the inspiration for this blog's title. For my birthday Clay asked what I wanted to do. My job has me traveling so much lately I wasn't in the mood to go out or have a big shin dig. Instead I wanted a quiet evening at home with a yummy meal. Clay has quite the repertoire of amazing dishes but he really outdid himself this year. He decided to make Butternut Squash Ravioli from scratch! That's right, he made the pasta and everything from scratch!

I should have taken pictures of the process (which took ALL day) but I didn't. However, imagine every square inch of counter space covered in some kind of something. And then imagine that he used every dish we have in the kitchen. I think you get the picture. Anyhow, here is the result! It was FABULOUS!

Butternut Squash Ravioli

For my birthday the thing I wanted the most in the whole wide world was my own skulling oars. Last season I discovered how valuable it is to use the same set on a regular basis. While you'll get good calluses on your hands you won't have as many blisters. So this season I decided I was going in all the way.

If you're curious about the process for ordering custom oars feel free to ask. It was a lot of fun! I ordered from a company called Concept II and their customer service was fabulous. But the most exciting part was that I got purple blades! They are beautiful and the most recognizable blades at the boathouse :)!

Just out of the box!

Happy early Birthday to ME!!!

5 comments:

Clay said...

It was my pleasure, I did try to minimize the destruction of the kitchen by cleaning as I went. And if you count the nap I had in the middle of the day then yes it took all day.

Moxie Girl said...

Oh, I'm so excited for your very own new oars!!! Someday, I'll get myself all repaired and be able to get back out there rowing...Happy Early Birthday to you!

heather hub said...

I LOVE Butternut Squash!!!! Good one. Happy bday!!! You definitely are getting better and better with age!

Becky said...

Happy Birthday!

Dani said...

Yay to Birthdays!!! I hope you had a great one; I'm jealous of that ravioli - looks amah-zing! Enjoy your presents.