I've discovered my favorite app on my iphone. It's called "Lose It" and it is the best weight loss tool ever! Sadly, I put on a few pounds during law school and have struggled to take them off. Clay has reminded me that your metabolism at 30 isn't what it was at 20. When I was 20 all I had to do was pick up my workouts a bit and the weight magically fell off. Not true when you're 30.
So I vainly struggled to workout hard enough and often enough to take off the weight. Finally, a friend of mine discovered this app and suggested we try it together. In discussing our weight loss goals we realized that we weren't trying to lose a lot of weight, nor did we have an unhealthy life style (we exercise regularly, eat lots of fresh fruit and veggies, and limit our sweets) but we struggled with portion sizes.
My friend said she found this "Lose It" app and it seemed pretty easy to track calories. Plus, the best part was it gave you a recommended daily calorie allotment based on your weight loss goals. Additionally the program made certain assumptions (that you can change) and gave you extra calories if you did exercise above and beyond those assumptions. The program has tons of pre-loaded foods and exercises, but also allows you to enter new foods, recipes, and exercises to be more accurate in tracking your input and output.
Long story short, it worked! I started a couple of months ago and am happy to report I'm half way to my weight loss goals. Additionally Clay has joined in the fun and has lost several pounds. We've both enjoyed seeing our progress and learning a lot about ourselves along the way. Neither of us wanted to go on a diet because once you say "I can't have ____ " all you think about is how that one food would completely satisfy all of your cravings. This way I'm not limited but I really think before I eat certain things to determine if I really want to enter that much of that food into my daily calorie counter. Typically the answer is "no", but sometimes the answer is "yes, but not quite that much". So I automatically limit my portion size. It's been a miracle!
7 comments:
Ooh, thanks for the tip. I'm sure I'll be giving it a try here in a few months :) I never did finish off losing those silly Lily pounds. And I'm like you where I think that "diets" are dangerous and unhealthy for the most part. But I never sat down and counted calories or did any of that jazz either. So maybe I'll have to download the app after Baby Grace and I get settled in!
I prefer to think of it as a calorie budget. I am good at budgeting and the app is good at counting so there you go.
I'll definitely have to try that after the new baby comes. You know that "different metabolism after you're 30" thing? Wait until you have a baby, my friend. Enjoy your body now. =O)
I'm glad you've found something that works for you...that is the hardest part sometimes! Good luck!
Okay, I am not commenting on your new favorite app, but your new design. I was quite happily suprised. It is a ray of sunshine.
fun!
a calorie budget haha!
Thanks for the tip, I need to take a peek! I'm only 10 pounds away from my pre-baby weight. Would love to lose 15 but for now, I'd be satisfied with the remaining 10! I agree with your friend - post baby, it's MUCH harder to lose and especially in your 30s! :)
Glad you're meeting your goals.
Post a Comment