Sunday, January 29, 2012

My Thoughts on Pregnancy: 20 weeks

Well it's official - we've made the half-way point of 20 weeks. Or at least the medical half-way point, who knows when Itty Bitty may choose to arrive. So with that I thought I would share some of my thoughts on pregnancy. Not that I'm an expert, but just some thoughts.

Speaking of experts, when you're pregnant you discover that everyone is an expert on what you should (or more often should not) be doing. From no lunch meat, to no soft cheeses, to no coffee, to more salads. You name it everyone has an opinion. It's been interesting hearing the different, and sometimes conflicting advice.

For example, my midwife has a nutritionist that I saw and they provided lots and LOTS of helpful nutrition information. A lot of it is just good common sense (eat more fresh vegetables and cut out process foods). But also work offers a prenatal program that includes a registered dietitian so I decided to take advantage of that perk as well. While they generally agree it's kind of funny to see how they differ.

My midwife's service is totally anti anything processed so her snack suggestions are always natural and preferably organic. Good in theory but not always practical and not always in line with what my body is craving. The midwife also wants me eating between 2300 and 2500 calories a day! Holy cow! But she only wants me consuming 80-90g of protein.

On the other hand, work's dietitian provided a list of suggested snacks, many of which were processed. While maybe not the best nutritionally sometimes those packaged foods are just more convenient to carry with you or keep around at work. But she only wants me eating 2100-2200 calories but she wants me eating 110g of protein!

In the end I decided to take it all with a grain of salt (which apparently you need more of when you're pregnant). I've found a comfortable balance in my diet so I don't feel hungry all the time but I also feel like I'm eating healthy and not gaining too much weight. We'll see how that works out in a few months.

Another area of advice is my choice to use a midwife and a home birth. Now this will get lots of people going. What I've found is most women, especially older women, are very supportive and wish they would have had that same option when they had their kids. Most men get a weird freaked out look on their face. I think it's just in their nature to be more protective and they feel it would be safer to have a baby in a hospital. Anyhow, it's been a lot of fun seeing people's reactions and educating them on the midwife option. We'll see if I actually influence anyone's decisions in the future.

I've also found that Clay and I bucked the trend by not finding out the gender. This has caused some people serious frustration. I'm not sure why, but apparently most folks feel "more prepared" if they know the gender of the child in advanced. I guess I'm not too worried if we have a boy who wears a pink outfit or a girl that wears blue. It will all sort itself out. I'm also enjoying leaving the due date a mystery. After all, why would it matter what date I told you since the chanced of Itty Bitty actually showing up on the assigned date are about 0!

Speaking of guys... I work with a LOT of guys and it's been a real blessing. The guys I work with have been very supportive (I think they are afraid of a hormonal outburst). But they always want to make sure I'm well fed and feeling okay.

On being well fed at work... the other day I had a hankerin' for a blueberry muffin. I could smell blueberry muffins and I couldn't get it out of my head. I've never been one to cave quickly to a craving and prefer to wait it out and see if it will pass. But by 2pm (it started at 9am) I decided this was a full-blown craving. So I was going to run to Starbucks and buy a muffin. Low and behold they were out!!! Seriously, the poor guy at the drive through must have thought I lost my mind. I returned to work defeated. So my boss sent out another co-worker and a mission and he returned with the best blueberry muffin EVER!! (See I told you I work with some great guys)

I've also been reading books and blogs and whatnot on pregnancy. I've definitely decided that everyone is different. Some women go through pregnancy like rock stars. A friend of mine said she never felt healthier or stronger than when she was pregnant! SERIOUSLY!?!? I on the other hand can't seem to pull it together. I need at least 10 hours of sleep a night (12 if I can swing it). I need naps on the weekend and I still can't shake the evening wooziness (but it has lessened). Oh well, some gals have all the luck!

Finally we have started decorating the nursery. Itty Bitty's room is currently a putrid lime green thanks to the prior owner's teenage daughter. When we looked at the house the room was covered in Justin Bieber posters and we knew the green had to go. Upon further inspection we've discovered that the daughter also had more posters on the wall than we had seen and every square inch is covered in holes (including the ceiling). So we've patched the holes and are not painting the ceiling and the walls. Pics will come later. But in the end it will be an awesome Star Wars themed nursery (might as well start 'em young)!

And last but not least pics of me at 20 weeks. It's been strange going through the physical metamorphosis of pregnancy. I think it's best compared with puberty where your body goes through a crazy number of changes in a short time and all the sudden you don't recognize yourself in the mirror.

20 weeks

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh man, I had people in my life who nagged me like crazy about getting enough protein. I eventually found a protein shake that I liked that you just mix with milk and I'd drink it with breakfast. It tasted like a liquid power bar to me, which sounds gross, but I was surprised how fond I grew of them! My philosophy is that you just have to GET THROUGH the first trimester, and then after that you can try to focus on nutrition. If you *can* worry about it during the first trimester, then more power to you, but I generally just concentrate on eating things that won't make me barf.

It is surprising how opinionated (and willing to share) people are about pregnancy stuff. Even today when I told someone we're naming our baby Clementine, they asked, "Now why are you naming her *that*" in a very disapproving way. I told her it was because we liked the name... DUH!

It's also surprising how disapproving people are of natural birth... and I even deliver at the hospital. I imagine home birth would be that much more frustrating to try to explain to people.

Becky said...

I appreciate the candidness of your post. The decisions you make are yours to make and no one else's opinions really matter. I seriously think the doctors should give blinders out at your first appointment. The amount of advice you get is unsurmountable and will only grow once the kiddo is here. Best of luck!

Ogday in Montana said...

No advice from this peanut gallery, except HURRAH for Star Wars themed bedrooms!!!!!
Glad you are starting to feel better. Hope that continues.
You look beautiful!!!!!
Love you lots!!

Amanda said...

Yeay for feeling, even if just marginally, better! :) No one ever nagged me really about protein or anything else for that matter. I kind of wish I had sought out a dietician with my pregnancies, though, honestly, I have two incredibly healthy kids who are wicked smart (but I'm not biased...) so I must have ate okay during my pregnancies!

The advice you get before and after pregnancy can be exhausting and sometimes, honestly, make you feel crummy. Make the choices you feel are best, take advice as an option for another tool to throw in your tool belt. What works for one day with Itty Bitty may not work at all the next day! :) The more tools the better!

And I agree with natural child birth. I got lots of weird looks (and still do) when I told people I wanted to (and did) have two natural childbirths. People are astounded when I tell them I pushed for THREE HOURS (yes, it was grueling, and yes, I considered drugs more than once during that delivery) before I had Saoirse. But man...if that wasn't proof of how far I can push my body, then I'm not sure what is. You'll make the decisions that are right for you and your child. I also think you're on to something with guys being weird about home birth - Shawn is pretty against it and birthing centers...guys are weird! :)

Love you friend! You look amazing!! So wish we lived closer!!!!!!!!

Moxie Girl said...

I'm glad you work with good guys who look out for you when you have muffin cravings...I'm thinking the same thing wouldn't happen for me with most of the guys I work with...

BTW, I have no advice to give on pregnancy...at all...:)