Sunday, June 24, 2012

Go/No Go for Launch

These days I feel like a NASA engineer whose launch was scrubbed during countdown.  On Tuesday I had my midwife appointment and started having pretty intense contractions prior to my appointment.  At the appointment we discussed last week's labor experience and decided to check my progress.  The good news was all of the contractions I had actually did make positive progress towards labor and they were hopeful that these new contractions I was experiencing were going to be the grand finale!

Wednesday I woke up with more contractions and a friend of mine drove me to work.  By noon my contractions were pretty intense and consistent so at 2pm my friend took me home and I called Clay and my midwife on the way.  When I got home Clay and the midwife showed up and while I wasn't any further dialated I was clearly in labor.  I couldn't hardly walk my contractions were so intense.

Under the theory a watched pot never boils, a watched pregnant lady never gives birth.  So my midwife left me to allow labor to progress a bit further and Clay and I went to bed that evening fully anticipating a 2am wake up for an Itty Bitty arrival.  No such luck!

Thursday was more of the same.  I was still having intense contractions that lasted a minute and were less than 5 minutes apart.  My midwife came by and checked on me again.  Sadly still no forward progress.  However she had me drinking red raspberry leaf tea and using my breast pump to try and encourage the contractions.  By the end of Thursday I was exhausted.  Everything on my body ached from the contractions and I was emotionally spent.

So Friday we changed course and my midwife ordered a day of relaxation.  She had me taking hot baths and lots of naps and yoga.  She was concerned that two days of strong contractions had just worn me out but that I was fighting my body which was why things weren't progressing.

Saturday we decided to start back on the activities to promote labor.  Clay and I went for a walk (I hadn't been able to walk Wednesday or Thursday because I couldn't hardly stand up straight).  More tea.  More breast pump.  Again I had lots of contractions but they weren't as consistent as they had been on Wednesday or Thursday.  I also had my friend Julie come down and give me a massage.  2 hours of relaxation and working on the induction pressure points.  Then my midwife came down that evening and checked on me.  Still no further labor progress.  Grr!

So here we sit.  Itty BItty is happy and healthy and apparently has no plans for an exit any time soon.  I have an ultrasound scheduled for Monday.  My midwife's protocol have a wellness ultrasound scheduled at 41 weeks to make sure everything is okay.

However, right now my greatest fear is hitting the 42 week mark. At that point I'm considered high risk for a home delivery and we may have to consider other options.  This terrifies me.  Perhaps I was totally naive and never even considered this would be a possibility for me and now that I'm getting closer it's really freaked me out. 

With all of this I finally understand why someone would chose induction.  The frustration and exhaustion is overwhelming.  Clay and my midwives have been super supportive and calm during this on again/off again process.  However, some of the comments from friends and family have left me frustrated.  I know everyone is impatient but I have to remember why I chose a homebirth and that God has His timing in this.  But I can see that if I didn't have the support of Clay and my midwife I would have caved a long time ago to an alternate path forward.

Again, your prayers are appreciated.  Right now I'm fine.  Itty Bitty is fine.  Clay is fine.  We are just waiting.   Patience is the hard part.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I think people who don't choose unmedicated birth don't understand those of us who want one. During my second two labors, I heard a lot of "Oh just take the drugs and get it over with." which is all too tempting to a tired laboring woman. Also, since I had long stop and go labors, I thought my body was dysfunctional. But so few women actually let their bodies do the work, doctors don't see it often and it does seem weird, when maybe it's a perfectly normal way to labor naturally. Anyway, your body will do it eventually and you can sing "I did it myyyyy way!"

Becky said...

Patience is hard. I'm proud of you for sticking with your plan and not caving.

Kellee H. said...

We are anticipating the news, but patiently waiting for you and Clay and baby. Praying all is going well and everyone is healthy. Please let us know if we can bring you meals, do laundry, housecleaning, yard work, etc...

Amy said...

You can do it Shyla! :)

Moxie Girl said...

Hang in there, Shyla! I have absolutely nothing annoying to say because of my ZERO amount of experience with what you're going through...ok, I'm sure I could come up with something annoying, but it wouldn't concern childbirth. :) I think about you often and will pray for continued progress and good health for all involved!

Amanda said...

Hang in there! Itty Bitty has his/her own timeline. And I agree with what Alyson said, people who don't choose unmedicated births don't really understand why those of us who do want one (I'm not poo-pooing their choice, it's just not for me). The drugs are really dang tempting...both labors for me it was at the transition between 8 and 9 cm. I'm hoping my comments have not been frustrating ones...that's not been my intention AT ALL! :) Thinking healthy thoughts for you and Itty Bitty and cannot wait to hear the news whenever baby decides to join the outside-the-womb world! (And hoping it's before the 42 week mark since that will likely not fit into your birth plan...). Hugs chica!