Monday, June 11, 2012

The Home Stretch

Well so far Itty Bitty remains comfy and cozy with no signs of wanting to escape.  So we wait.  I get lots of comments about still being pregnant, but I'm in no hurry.  At this point I figure I don't know a single person who has been pregnant FOREVER and since I'm not miserable I figure "what's the rush!"  After all Itty Bitty is perfectly safe as is and I can enjoy some more bonding time.

So at 39 weeks we had quite the crazy weekend.  Clay and I both got home on Friday and were exhausted!  Clay said he felt like he was coming down with something but everyone's allergies have been so awful lately I figured he would feel better if we rested and would be good to go in the morning.  Yeah, I was WRONG!

Saturday we woke up and Clay felt worse.  He said his head was in a vice and was completely congested.  I wanted to walk the dogs but Clay wasn't going anywhere so I decided to go play in the backyard.  While I was out there I decided to brush out Maggie since she has been shedding like crazy lately.  So when I notice a dirt clot on her neck I go to run the comb over it and she winces.  I'm a bit slow (and after I tell you this next part you will know I am not fit to be a mother).  So after Maggie winces I decide to run the comb over the dirt clot again and this time it starts bleeding!!!! 

I holler into the house for Clay to come help me and we inspect the wound.  With all the fuzz we can't tell if this is mortal or just a scratch so Clay calls the vet to see if we can get in and I go get dressed (I'm still in my PJs at this point).  Now I have a husband who feels like dying and a bleeding dog.  What a morning.

I load up Maggie and head to the vet where it takes me and a tech to hold down a totally freaked out 70lb dog while the vet shaves her neck to get a look at the wound.  In the end Maggie had a 2-3 inch long gash down her neck.  It wasn't deep enough for stitches but she needed antibiotics to make sure it didn't get infected.  While the vet was getting the medications Maggie scratches her neck and starts bleeding all over the exam room.  So when the vet came in she determined Maggie would get the "cone-of-shame." 

Maggie and the Cone-of-Shame

So we spent Saturday as a family laying around trying to heal.  Sunday, Clay woke up and felt equally bad if not worse.  Thus began day 2 of the Dwyer family rest period.  When Clay woke up this morning feeling bad we decided he needed to see the doctor.  Normally we're the type of people that let things run their course.  We don't like to over medicate and want to ensure our immune systems have a chance to fight off the bad stuff.  But since Itty Bitty may come at any day it seemed wise for Clay to get on some medication and try and kick this thing in the patootie!

Things continue to go well.  I think I've done a few non-traditional things that I've had a lot of fun with and would recommend to anyone who is expecting.  I have loved not having an official "due date."  I've said Itty Bitty would come some time in June and it's been lots of fun to get everyone involved guessing when Itty Bitty will come.  At work everyone submitted their guess and it's posted on my door.  I've also had friends and family post guesses on Facebook.  I figure due dates are just a guess anyhow so why not let others take a crack at it.

I've also enjoyed not knowing Itty Bitty's gender.  This has also created much speculation.  Even strangers feel the need to take a guess.  I figure it's a 50/50 shot so might as well tell me what you think.  I do find it funny when people apologize for using a gender specific pronoun.  I know they are just making a statement and it doesn't bother me at all.  I figure once we know the gender people will use the right gender pronoun.  For now, it's just all good fun.

And finally here are some 39 week photos.




Me & Itty Bitty at 39 weeks

Me, Itty Bitty, and my first baby Baxter


My pregnancy highlights at this point:

- I'm still working out.  I lift weights 3x a week and walk 2x a week during lunch.  I also try to walk in the evenings and I do yoga 2 mornings each week.  I did have to stop doing abs a couple of weeks ago.
- Itty Bitty has "dropped".  This actually happened a couple of weeks ago.  Clay looked at me and said "your belly fell down."  He didn't know that was suppose to happen.  I thought it was funny.
- I'm still working.  Apparently this amazes a lot of people.
- I sleep like a rock (except for the dozen or so potty breaks every night)!
- I get regular Braxton Hicks.  Mostly in the evening but nothing indicates Itty Bitty has any intention of vacating the premises any time soon.

3 comments:

Jamie said...

Well I continue to refer to you as having a she and steven SWEARS it is a boy. I think SHE will be here Monday June 18th :)

Unknown said...

I worked up until Lily was born. Of course, I *had* planned on quitting a little early... but she likes to keep me on my toes :)

I slept great when I was pregnant with Lily (aside from the potty breaks, which sadly are pretty normal even when I'm not pregnant), and I felt a little guilty when people would ask me if the baby was keeping me up kicking me all night, and I told them she wasn't. BUT I totally made up for it with my next two pregnancies!

I'm glad you're getting good sleep. It's always better to go into labor well-rested!

Becky said...

Oh no...not the cone of shame! :D
I'm glad you are continuing to feel good. I can't wait to meet itty bitty.