My friend Amanda is also working on her master's degree online so we frequently commiserate about school. Her latest beef is with a classmate who's favorite word is hegemony. Now if you're thinking "Wow I must be stupid I don't know what 'hegemony' means?", you're not alone. The dictionary definition of hegemony is: leadership or predominant influence exercised by one nation over others, as in a confederation. The funny part of this whole ordeal is Amanda's degree is in psychology, which, last I checked, had very little to do with "predominate influences exercised by one nation over others." Basically the guy doesn't know how to use the word but thinks that knowing a word no one else knows makes him look intelligent (that is until those people looked up the word hegemony and then all of his classmates just realized he's an idiot).
However, not to fear, there are others who know the word hegemony and use the word in context. While I was reading one of my case books the other day the Supreme Court of the United States used the word hegemony in its proper context. And, believe it or not, using the word hegemony actually made the Supreme Court look intelligent!
1 comment:
LOL! Seriously - I'm not just typing that one! I actually laughed out loud. Thanks for the shout out! :) I'm glad that the Supreme Court looked intelligent by its use of the word. Luckily, I don't have other classes with this guy - at least not for two weeks and I hope that he is not in either of my next two courses! Have a good week!
Post a Comment