Tuesday, September 05, 2006

A Friend's Tears

Yesterday my friend Amanda's husband left for an extended trip to the desert. (For those of you who may not have a friend or family member in the military, this is the nice way of saying a deployment to the middle east.) I called her up knowing that this wouldn't be any easier this time than it has been the times before. We cried together... and we laughed together... and mostly I felt a renewed sense of comittment to my friend. I am amazed at how brave military families are. Those who go face varying degrees of danger and other challenges. Those who stay endure the uncertainty of being left behind.

Over the next several months I will call my friend, we will probably cry some more and laugh some more. I cannot fully understand what she is going through but my heart aches for her as I know only she can endure this time alone while the rest of us must do the best we can to show our support. So here's my little tribute to military families... may God bless them for doing jobs that benefit those of us who stay behind.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Thank you! Your call meant so much to me yesterday. I cannot tell you how important our friendship is, and always has been, to me. Thanks for going through this with me, I couldn't do this alone! :)