Sunday, May 25, 2008

It's a project

Clay and I are "do it yourself" kind of people. Especially on long weekends we love to start the "big" projects. This weekend (since we failed to go on vacation) we decided to tackle a project which has been on the list for a while. We're building a back patio/garden area in the side yard. We've had a vision we just haven't had the time to bring it all together. So this weekend we went to the rock store where they sell the flat sandstone which is what we envisioned for the patio area and the walkway to the backyard. Total for this project we are bringing in 300 sq feet of sandstone and 3 tons of filler. You heard that right folks that is a 3 with the word tons after it. And yes Clay and I are doing it ourselves. Yesterday and today we laid out the metal edging and cleared the area. Tomorrow we'll be doing the leveling and then the rocks will be delivered Wednesday. When its done I'll post pictures.

On a side note when we were ordering the material Clay asked how much it would be to install the patio and they guy said he'd charge around $1000. Clay and I had no intention to have someone else do this since we love home improvement projects. But I looked at Clay and said "by the time this is over we may wish we had paid someone to do it." After a day of shoveling, hauling and general heavy lifting I'm starting to think I was right!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

That's mine and Shawn's motto: why do what we can pay others to do? At least when it comes to those types of projects. We do our own yard work, etc., but when we had our retaining wall put it, it just didn't sound fun to haul back tons of bricks plus tons of top soil. Hope the rest of the project goes well!! Can't wait to see pics!

Dani said...

even heavy lifting sounds so much more fun than bar review! (ick). I hope you post pictures when its finished. (maybe a before and after?)