Saturday, June 28, 2008

Ten Years

That's right folks this weekend is my 10 year high school reunion. I have managed to be in denial about this event for the past several months (mostly because I knew I was unable to attend since I am only an intern and don't have any vacation time). But reality set in last night when one of my best friends in the world called me to inform me she was picking up members of the old gang to go hang out. Seriously she dropped names I haven't even thought of since the day we graduated. CRAZY! What was funny was it was completely normal on a Friday night to gather up these people and go watch a move or just "cruise." (I wonder if anyone "cruises" still with $4 gas?)

The other funny part about this is I don't feel 10 years older. Sure I've graduated from college, had my first job, got married, own a house, have 2 dogs, quit my first job, went back to law school, and am about to finish up law school. But surely I only graduated from high school a month ago. I can still remember the day so well. I can remember that is was cold in the morning and everyone had to wear warm clothes under their graduation robes. I remember making the rounds to my friend's graduation parties and them stopping by mine. I remember the senior all night party where we went to this park and watched the sun come up and then went and had a breakfast at our local greasy spoon. Surely that wasn't 10 years ago.

But I have been blessed and I am so thankful for the fond memories I have of high school. I made some amazing friends back then. (A few of which I am lucky enough to still be in touch with.) I am also glad high school is over with its ups and downs and confusion about life. But sometimes maybe it would be good to return there (if only for a weekend) and forget about the stresses of life and just hang out with old friends.

So to my friends who did get to go I hope you guys had a great time. As for me, I'm going to continue denying that I'm getting old :)!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Ah...I think we're like a good wine...we're getting better with age! :) I refuse to think of myself as old! The reunion was great. I can't wait to tell you more. I totally missed having you there and wish you could've been there! Let's talk soon!

Dani said...

WE MISSED YOU!

It was a nice weekend, but there were so many people missing. And, of course it was SO awkward at first, but seeing the old gang brought back good/bad/mixed feelings. I think your post really is right on about so many things, including how easy it is to remember little details about many of those repressed memories.

I agree that sometimes it feels as if high school ended only a month or two ago too. But really, we have all done many amazing things since then, and grown in many ways (all for the better, of course).

We'll continue to deny that we're getting old... maybe it will be easier to admit when we plan the 20th in 2018.

Rebecca said...

Mine is coming up too and I can't believe it either. I feel so young, not nearly 30! I'm sorry you had to miss it, but I'm glad you got to connect with old friends on your trip!!