Sunday, March 04, 2012

How to Birth a Baby and Raise a Child

So I've been tossing around an idea in my head the last few weeks. As Clay and I prepare for Itty Bitty I've been reading books on birthing and parenting. I have found these books to be somewhat comical in their absolutes. While they all have good ideas I try and read them with a grain of salt. However, the authors would have you believe that if you didn't do this or that EXACTLY like the book says then you are a horrible parent and clearly don't love your child. I find this funny and a little sad.

But that got me thinking, what ideas or plans to I have about Itty Bitty that are absolute. So a bit tongue in cheek, I've decided to share my ideas and thoughts on birthing a baby and raising a child. This way I can look back in a few months or even a few years and laugh at my absurd notions about what would work or the things I absolutely would NEVER do. In fact this may be stretched into several blogs as I find more things to share along the way.

As an example, I've already had one of my preconceived notions shattered through pregnancy. My theory was that being in great physical shape prior to conceiving would minimize if not eliminate my pregnancy discomforts and symptoms. I thought that a lot of women suffered from ailments like morning sickness or fatigue because they weren't in good shape to begin with so the stress of pregnancy on an out of shape body is what made them suffer during the first trimester. Acting on my plans I was in some of the best shape of my life when I got pregnant. And guess what... I FELT AWFUL!! My morning sickness proceeded through about the 22nd week and to this day I require ridiculous quantities of sleep because I am SOOOOO tired. So while I'm still of the opinion that being in good shape is important for your overall health and well being, it clearly does not indicate the extent to which you suffer through pregnancy symptoms.

Currently I'm reading books on natural childbirth. My plan is to have a completely unmediated, natural child birth at home. As I've mentioned before, some people think this plan shows that I am CRAZY! However, I believe that a woman's body is designed to have babies and that the human species clearly survived for thousands of years prior to the current medical advancements. And if all those women can do it, so can I!

However, the books are quite funny because they act as if any woman who had medical intervention during labor clearly just didn't try hard enough. I don't believe that. I think that women's bodies are made to have babies, but also there are some benefits to the medical advancements and that they are options that if you choose to part take that's a personal choice and isn't a reflection on your personal strength.

I've also had friends who prepared for fully natural child birth and due to medical circumstances they had medical intervention. Some of them even noted that they felt like failures because they were unable to have a natural child birth. I hope that if those circumstances happen to me that I can have some perspective that things happen and that modern medicine is a wonderful blessing to have in those circumstances.

Having said that here are my thoughts on child birth. I plan to birth at home because I think the ability to be in my own environment will allow the birthing process to be more peaceful. I don't think labor actually hurts. Don't get me wrong, I think it's hard work, but I don't think it's pain in the traditional sense. What I envision is that labor is like running a marathon. While your running your body gets tired and parts get weak. You will hit mental walls that you feel you just can't push through. But somehow you push through the wall and find an amazing runners high that carries you through the next stretch of the journey.

This is how I see labor. I see it as a long workout. I will be tired. There will be physical, mental, and emotional walls that I will hit and I will have to push through. But like running a marathon, those walls aren't pain. It's just a matter of endurance and fortitude. I believe I can prepare for that just like a long run and when the moment comes I can find the strength to push through. I don't fear child birth and I'm not worried about the pain because I don't think there will be any pain. But on this matter I will keep you posted...

I also get a kick out of these books because they are absolute about the flow of labor. For instance, one book has the "ideal" birthing position and argues that the woman should lay in this position in order to achieve optimal relaxation during labor. Their argument is that child birth is best if the woman is totally relaxed and not fighting what her body is trying to do. The author feels that by "pushing" or being tense during labor the mother only prolongs labor and that's when pain happens. Instead the goal is to relax. I TOTALLY buy into this philosophy. However, the book wants me to lay in this one position in order to relax during the WHOLE labor which could last for hours. Over my dead body am I going to lay in one position for hours on end. I don't think anything could be LESS relaxing. So while I buy into the theory I personally see myself walking around and stretching in order to achieve my optimal relaxation during labor.

Clay and I have also had talks about baby sleep arrangements. One controversial issue these days is co-sleeping or the family bed. "Experts" will tell you that this is extremely dangerous and that you should never ever ever let the baby sleep in your bed with you. On the other hand I have friends who run the whole gamut from having their baby and toddlers share the family bed with them, to friends who have the baby sleep in a cradle in their room with them, to people who put the baby in the nursery from the first night. All of these people will tell you that their arrangement is the "best" way to get the baby (and consequently the parents) to sleep through the night. Furthermore, I believe all of these people truly love their children and want what's best for them.

So here's my plan. I have NO intention of the baby sleeping in my bed EVER! It freaks me out and I believe that it's harder to transfer the child to their own bedroom when they are older if they've slept in your bed. But since I plan to breastfeed I think it's convenient (especially at first) to have the baby in our room. So I plan to have Itty Bitty is some kind of bassinet in the room for the first few weeks or months. But once Itty Bitty sleeps through the night he/she will be in the nursery!

However, I'm also a fan of the "cry it out" theory. I think there is some point when the baby is a few months old that the baby has to learn to self-sooth and will need to cry itself to sleep. I read an article that said to set a timer and give the baby a set amount of time to settle back down prior to rushing in to "save the day." This makes a lot of sense to me. I think that after a few nights of the baby crying it out Itty Bitty will be able to sleep through the night and Clay and I will get a lot more rest.

Onto breastfeeding! Another hot topic du jour! Since I'm reading books on a natural home birth it also makes sense that I plan to breast feed. I also have friends who have had all varieties of experience on this topic. From friends who never intended to breast feed to those who breast fed well over 1 year of their child's life.

My plan is to breast feed for the first 12 months. I think that breast feeding is the healthiest option. However, unlike the books I am reading I don't believe that every woman can do this easily. That may sound hypocritical to some since I mentioned that I feel that women are designed to have babies and I believe they are designed to breast feed. However, the books make it sound as if breast feeding is the easiest, most natural thing you could do. But I've had friends who have struggled and struggled only to be completely frustrated and finally start using formula. The books would make you think that the challenges with breast feeding only started with the advent of formula in the 60s and 70s. I would argue this point. After all prior to formula that's what a wet nurse was for. Women would were unable to breast feed hired a wet nurse who would nurse their baby. Difficulties breast feeding isn't a new thing, we just have technology allowing us to feed our babies with formula now instead of having to find another nursing mother and enlist her help! Having said that, I still have made up my mind to fight through the challenges and breast feed for the first year. Wish me luck!

I also plan to go back to work. Many of my friends have returned to work after having their children, but I have a few who have chosen to be stay at home moms. I think both are great options, however, I think going to work is the best option for me. I love my job and I can't imagine not having my career. That may sound selfish, but I also think that it's healthy to do things for yourself and everything doesn't have to be about the baby. Having said that, I realize that the first day probably isn't going to be easy. In fact the first several days and weeks may not be easy. But in the long run I think this is what's best for me and the family.

So what about feeding the baby. Somewhere around 6ish months Itty Bitty will start eating solid foods. I read an article several years ago that I found very intriguing. The author argued that the American epidemic of childhood obesity started with the first foods we choose to feed our babies when they start on solids. The author noted that the first food for most American babies is rice cereal which is a processed grain and is processed much like sugar. The justification for this is that it's easy to digest so it slowly gets the baby used to processing solid foods. Also there tends to be very few allergies to these types of foods. Current US feeding schedules also have you introduce one food at a time. Many of the plans tell you to start with veggies because if the baby eats fruit first you'll never get the baby to like veggies because he/she will be addicted to the sugars in fruits.

However, the author of this article noted that in many countries (without childhood obesity problems) the first foods babies eat are high in protein. For instance they noted that in Mediterranean countries babies first food is often hummus. The argument was that starting the baby on higher protein foods that are more difficult to process is better for the baby's digestive health and in the long term helps prevent childhood obesity. I don't know that I totally buy it, but I think that it's definitely worth considering that maybe rice cereal isn't necessarily the "right" first food.

Okay... I'm sure there is more. Feel free to share your thoughts/concerns/stories/theories/ect. Even better, share things you thought would work a certain way or you would or would not do and how it actually turned out. I'll keep you posted on my progress!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok, so I'll have to respond to this email systematically.

I had a person tell me that if you don't "manifest" morning sickness, you won't have it. SO not true. You get it or you don't. I got it. Boo!

It'll probably be easier to avoid *unnecessary* medical interventions laboring at home. But like you said, not all interventions are unnecessary and you shouldn't feel like a failure if you end up needing something.

I think labor "pain" is exactly like exercise pain. Some may call it "pain" and some may not (and everyone experiences various levels of pain anyway) but it's not pain in the way that breaking your arm is pain. It's pain in that your body is doing something REALLY HARD and REALLY EXHAUSTING. But I've told all my friends who are athletes that if you can be a serious athlete, you can have a baby without pain medication. As long as you prepare yourself, you can DO it!

So the whole "flow" of labor thing. I'm convinced that my body labors differently than anybody else's in the whole world. Also, that general laying down position was comfortable for me for a while, but of course you have to get up and move around. BUT my experience is that contractions are WAY more comfortable when you relax for them.

As far as sleep habits, I couldn't even handle having Lily in the room (too noisy) and co-sleeping TOTALLY freaked me out. BUT with Goo, she slept in our room for 6 months, and I often fell asleep nursing, so technically we co-slept. I guess it just depends on the kid and your situation.

And breastfeeding... ugh you know how I feel about this. It's the greatest thing ever, but IT DOESN'T ALWAYS WORK FOR EVERYONE. And when it has worked for other people, they just don't understand how it could *not* work. Sigh. Also, prior to formula, people just gave their babies cow's milk, which is less nutritious than formula. So yay for science!

With food introduction for Goo, she would NOT eat off of a spoon. So I did research and found out about "baby led weaning". I didn't fully subscribe to the theory behind it, but the practical application helped me get her to eat eventually, so it was a winner. :)

Ogday in Montana said...

Just a comment from your grandmother, Sue. She went back to school later in life majoring in child development and her big insight was this:
"I am so glad I raised my kids before I read all of this. I would have really screwed them up."
So, as you said, take everygthing that is written with a grain of salt - or maybe a salt block!!
I know I made many mistakes with both you girl, but you also both turned out to be healthy, happy, loving, giving, Christian women. So I must have done something right as well.

Ogday in Montana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Hey Shyla! I'm so excited for you to have your baby :) Being a mom is the most amazing thing I've ever done. Also the most difficult. It's very taxing mentally, physically, and spiritually, but there are wonderful returns.

I was induced so I'm not sure what regular labor is like, I hear it's worse if you're induced - makes me look forward to next time when hopefully I don't have to be induced and it will be easier :)

After my baby was born I kept thinking "labor's no joke." It's a seriously difficult thing regardless how you do it. Labor is one of those things you just have to go through to appreciate it, the same with parenting in general.

Lots of women have had babies without medication (billions of them probably) so I know you can do it. It's really reassuring to know that there have been so many advances in medicine so that if something goes wrong (which happens) you have a back up plan. It's super sad reading stories of women or babies dying in childbirth back in the day and it's comforting to know that the risk has been greatly diminished. No shame in saving your life or the life of your baby.

I wasn't into co-sleeping because I was positive that my baby would die if I did it, but there were nights that he just wouldn't sleep in his own bed and he ended up sleeping with us out of shear desperation. Then we moved and he ended up sleeping in our bed for like a month when he was about 3 months old. It was fine. Unless your medicated or drunk you won't roll over on your baby. I would hold him on my arm and sort of protect him when he was little. That being said, we all slept so much better once we moved him to his own room.

Unknown said...

Part II (sorry it's so long!!)

We did the cry-it-out method and it works. I've been reading the new "Bringing up Bebe" about French parenting techniques and they always wait 5-10 minutes before they pick up their babies to see if they'll calm down on their own. I think this is probably the best advice. Babies do sometimes cry in between sleep cycles but that doesn't mean they're hungry. You don't have to wait a super long time, just wait a few minutes to see if they go back to sleep. I did this because the "Baby Whisperer" said to listen to your baby's cry to determine what they want before responding. I don't know if that was the trick but my baby started sleeping through the night by the time he was 3 months old. I also used the "Contented Little Baby" book for sleep schedules. It's hard to get yourself on a schedule, but the schedules in the book are what the baby naturally wants to do. I felt like a better parent when I followed the schedule because I was feeding him before he got so hungry he was crying and putting him down before he got overly tired. I didn't always follow the schedule during the day and he didn't nap for a long time. I finally buckled down a few months ago and he naps great now.

There are a lot of things in parenting that are a lot harder to do than you think they will be for different reasons and you have to do what you have to do. There are so many competing ideas on how to do things that sometimes it's better not to read the books because they will stress you out. They're kind of like fashion magazines. They're good to get ideas, but usually you just end up feeling bad about yourself because they're all about some ideal no one actually lives up to.

Even the pediatrician can say your kid should be doing this or that, but trying to get them to do it is really stressful because the baby isn't ready or you're not ready. I like to think of them as goals. Eventually my baby won't need to nurse before he goes to sleep and he will eat the same food we do with a spoon. For now we're just happy he's sleeping and eating.

Right after we brought home our little guy I asked my mom when we should start doing "tummy time" and she asked "what's tummy time?" My mom never did tummy time with me and yet I eventually learned to roll over and crawl. The moral of the story is to not let all that stuff stress you out and try and keep a long term perspective.

You're a good mom already. I know you will love that baby so much and will make decisions with his/her best interests at heart. That's the best gift you can give your baby. Don't let books or people let you second guess yourself or decisions. They don't know you or your baby like you do.

Best of luck!

A Farmer's Wife said...

Shyla! I love and so appreciate your candor! You are adorable!!!

The bottom line with all of this is: you and Clay will find a system that totally works for you and never totally fits anyone else's notion/situation. Advice from others is fabulous but in the end no one knows your family better than you and no one will be better able to decide!

I have a cousin who did a home birth and there was a complication which led to serious problems for the baby. I think this is a decision to be made prayerfully, which I am sure you have. So, more power to you on that!

Cy's head was in the 95th percentile and I have never been more thankful for modern medicine than when that epidural kicked in! Perhaps I am a wimp but I don't think so. I think, as you stated so beautifully, everyone is different and wonderfully unique!

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND READING "The Key to Your Child's Heart" by Gary Smalley. It has sound, fabulous advice and I love it!!!

As with everything you do, you're going to be a phenomenal success as a Momma!

Love & Miss you lots,
Xela

Kelly T said...

I'll say one thing... you've certainly thought through everything! And I'm sure you've also realized that it very rarely goes the way you plan... pretty much nothing about motherhood is what I expected but it's crazier, harder and way, way more amazing and wonderful than I ever could've imagined!! Just be flexible and go with what's best for your family. Lots of prayer, my dear, and lots of time in the Word! His Word gives us every truth we need to raise children who LOVE Him - our number one goal as Mommies!!

Amanda said...

Here's my comment about the sleeping thing: know that whatever notions you have going in may not work for your baby. Saoirse slept amazing starting at 8 weeks without us having to do anything really special. Fianna had the same basic things done and she slept awful!! She's finally sleeping through the night at almost 10 months old. It's taken a while but she's getting there. We're doing a "cry it out" method - we check on her after 10 minutes. Most of what I read says that baby isn't really capable of doing this until about 6 months. I think you can give them some time before that to try to calm but literally, a few minutes. We tried earlier with Fianna to CIO but she literally would scream for an hour or more if we had let her. That's just her personality.

Breastfeeding - nope, not always easy. Utilize the lactation specialists if they're available. And know that the first 6-8 weeks is tough!

And as for food - the "experts" all say to wait until at least 4 months for baby to eat solids. I would've had a mutiny in my house if I had waited that long with Fianna. She was eying my pork ribs at 8 weeks old. I finally gave her cereal with some breast milk by spoon at 3.5 months and she was SO much happier. It was honestly the best decision I made. And do not believe the myth about baby preferring sweets if you start with fruit. Try a small bit of breast milk...it's sweet. Milk has tons of sugar. Babies (all humans really) are primed for sweets. Saoirse started out with fruits (prunes because of constipation) and Fianna with a veggie - they both love both fruits and veggies equally. Saoirse loves eating raw onions, broccoli, etc. Fianna can't get enough spinach and broccoli.

And ultimately, you'll figure out what works best for you and Clay and Itty Bitty. Whatever you think now may or may not actually work out. And even when you find a routine, it may not always work out. Flexibility is so important!!

Lemonade said...

Hi Shyla!

I appreciate your honesty in this post. There are so many books and so much advice a new mom gets bombarded with. Take everything with a grain of salt. Every mom is different and every baby is different. Blanket statements don't work when it comes to parenting. One of the best pieces of advice I received was "trust your maternal instincts, God gave them to you for a reason". Besides medical care, which may require a book or call to a nurse, you should trust your instincts. You will know your baby better than anyone. I'd encourage you to allow yourself to change how you do things as you go as well. Moms must adapt because those babies just continue to change!:) Having had 3 natural births (besides pitocin because I was induced) I can tell you there is some definite pain - there was for me. What helped the most was having a plan so it doesn't overwhelm you. Breathing, listening to music and counting the rythms with my breathing - it really helped me. Two of my kids were water births which I highly recommend. You definitely have to mentally overcome the temptation to "give up". I can see how that would be seen as similar to running or sports. I wish you the best! I also wanted to thank you for your comments on my blog. I appreciated your encouragement! Take care ~andrea moyer

Lemonade said...

Hi Shyla!

I appreciate your honesty in this post. There are so many books and so much advice a new mom gets bombarded with. Take everything with a grain of salt. Every mom is different and every baby is different. Blanket statements don't work when it comes to parenting. One of the best pieces of advice I received was "trust your maternal instincts, God gave them to you for a reason". Besides medical care, which may require a book or call to a nurse, you should trust your instincts. You will know your baby better than anyone. I'd encourage you to allow yourself to change how you do things as you go as well. Moms must adapt because those babies just continue to change!:) Having had 3 natural births (besides pitocin because I was induced) I can tell you there is some definite pain - there was for me. What helped the most was having a plan so it doesn't overwhelm you. Breathing, listening to music and counting the rythms with my breathing - it really helped me. Two of my kids were water births which I highly recommend. You definitely have to mentally overcome the temptation to "give up". I can see how that would be seen as similar to running or sports. I wish you the best! I also wanted to thank you for your comments on my blog. I appreciated your encouragement! Take care ~andrea moyer