Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Treasures

"But Mary treasured all these things, pondering them in her heart."
                                       - Luke 2:19

Lately this verse has been on my heart.  Since I don't intend to go through pregnancy again I've been trying to embrace the experience.  The first 22 weeks of my pregnancy were so uncomfortable that I really didn't enjoy the experience.  Now that I feel good I'm trying to really focus on some of the amazing experiences that come with pregnancy.

I think I will miss being a "we."  When people ask "how are you doing?" I've found myself responding "we're fine." or "we're hungry."  Itty Bitty and I are literally joined at the hip and it's fun to be a "we."

I will miss the special attention that pregnant women get.  People are just nicer to pregnant ladies.  I always get silly smiles in public places and people checking to make sure I'm okay.  It's nice to be special.  Once Itty Bitty is here the attention will move from me to Itty Bitty so I'll soak up the extra attention while I can.

I will miss blaming everything on pregnancy.  I forget something - must be "pregnancy brain."  I'm hungry for second lunch - I'm eating for 2 you know!  I'm really tired this afternoon - well I'm also growing a human.  The list goes on and on.  Once I've had the baby I must face reality and just take responsibility to how I feel.

The thing I will miss the most is the kicks and movements.  Itty Bitty is constantly rockin' and rollin' and I enjoy being able to know at all times that Itty Bitty is doing fine.  We communicate all the time.  Itty Bitty pushes against my belly and I push back.  I think Itty Bitty thinks it's a game!  But it's fun to have those private moments that only I will ever experience.

And oddly enough, I will miss Itty Bitty.  Once Itty Bitty comes we will know the gender and we'll share the name.  While that's exciting I will miss "Itty Bitty."  If it's a girl I may just keep using the nickname for a while, but for a boy I suspect that's not the most masculine nickname!

I'm sure there are more things I will miss once this is over but I wanted to share some of my thoughts. 

Finally here are the latest belly shots! 

Us - Me & Itty Bitty at 32 weeks!

5 comments:

Ogday in Montana said...

I am so glad you are having this singularly unique experience. Although millions of women have had babies, NO ONE has had Itty Bitty!! You are the only person in the history of the world, past or future, that will have this particular experience. Cherish every moment - not only those with "Itty Bitty" - but with whoever he/she is becoming. There is nothing like being a MOM!!!
P.S. You look BEAUTIFUL!!

Unknown said...

People are still really nice to you when you have a baby, esp in Oklahoma :) After I had Quentin I really missed him. Weird I know. I had to form a new relationship with him and it's been fun getting to know is personality and having my little buddy with me. Pregnancy is pretty cool, esp after that first trimester.

Amanda said...

Agreed! You look fantastic! And I'm so glad you're able to enjoy the little (and big) things about pregnancy. I loved both my pregnancies, the good and the bad. And I miss being pregnant and not having that relationship with my babies but it is so much fun to see them grow and develop. In the early days of their life outside the womb, it was fun to see their movements and be able to already know them since I felt those movements in utero! :)

Unknown said...

Pregnancy is pretty special, and it's really fun when they're first born because you feel like you already know them. That is why I like baby wearing so much. You feel the closeness kind of like when they're in the womb. Except you can take them off and be comfortable while you sleep! :) But keep that train of thought once IB is born. The baby stage is so sweet and precious and goes by SO fast. (People tell you that, but you don't realize it until it's happening and then whoosh it's gone!) So just hold that little baby as much as possible!

mistymadisonjo said...

Itty Bitty will always be itty bitty to you. Once you get off this train ride, you will get onto a roller coaster that will not stop. Motherhood is demanding, rewarding, exhausting, but above all precious. Enjoy it.