Thursday, August 16, 2012

A Few of My Favorite Things!

Prior to Pierce's arrival in my life I wasn't a "baby person."  I still don't consider myself a "baby person" but I sure do love my little man.  I also consider myself somewhat of a minimalist when it comes to gadgets.  So when it came to registering for baby gifts I really focused on the basics.  Several people told me about a lot of "must have" items, but for the most part I took those down as notes and started with the basics.  I figured if I needed another gadget it would still be at the store but I didn't want to have a bunch of stuff just to have stuff.  The way I figured it when the baby was born we needed a place for him to sleep, diapers, and a car seat.  Everything else would work itself out!

However, I have found a few "must haves" that I really like:

Ergo Baby Carrier:








When I was registering I planned on baby wearing so I polled my mom friends on facebook and the nearly unanimous answer was to get an Ergo.  This fancy, smancy baby carrier works for infants all the way up to toddlers.  It's been great to wear out and about because I can keep Pierce close to me and have my hands free.  Also I think Pierce likes the snuggles.  Since I've been out on maternity leave our morning routine is to strap Pierce in the Ergo, grab the dogs and head out the door for a walk!  I love it!

Tummy Tub:

 

This magical find was given to me by a lady at work.  She swore by it as the best way to give her grandson a bath.  Since I knew nothing about bathing babies I figured it would be just as good as any other baby bath... I was WRONG! 

When my mom was visiting Pierce had a rough evening.  He clearly didn't feel well and seemed to be gassy but no amount of burping was helping.  I had been reading the instruction manual on my Tummy Tub (yes it has an instruction manual) and it said the tub can help relieve gas and colic and other such baby issues.  Since we had tried every other remedy to try and get Pierce to feel better we figured why not try the tub. 

The second we set him down in the tub Pierce went from being grouchy, fussy, grumpy baby, to sweet, content, relaxed baby!  It was amazing!  I thought it might be a fluke but it's worked every time.  If Pierce is fussy and discontent in the evenings we just give him a quick bath in the tub and he is instantly a happier baby.  This product has become a must have for me :)! 

Halo Sleep Sacks:



One of my greatest parenting fears is SIDs.  I've decided every parent has one or two things that they are totally paranoid about.  For some moms it's germs or dropping their baby or any other thing that could harm their baby.  For me, I'm terrified of SIDs.  So of course I read all of the ways to help protect Pierce and these days they say not to use blankets in the baby's bed at night.  So an engineer, who lost his daughter to SIDs, invented the Halo Sleep Sacks.  Essentially it's a baby snuggy!  It keeps Pierce nice and warm but I don't have to be scared about blankets getting around his face.  Also you can swaddle with arms down or arms out.  Pierce is definitely an arms out kind of a guy!

So those are my "must haves."  I'm sure  there are other great products out there that I haven't needed yet but I figured I'd start with this list. 

And since I know the only reason anyone reads my blog anymore is for pics of Mr. Pierce I'll throw in a couple pics of my handsome man!

My Aunt Vicki was in town a few days ago for a whirlwind trip that included a wedding.  But she did manage to squeeze in an evening to have dinner wth Clay and I and snuggle a baby.






Pierce has become a lot more interactive lately.  He loves to either sit up and talk to you or lay on the couch and look around and talk to you.  He constantly babbles and coos.  It's pretty funny..


Finally, for comparison sake, here is how big he is getting in the swing.  We had a midwife appointment yesterday for his last check in with them.  He weighed 12lbs 15oz and was 21 3/4 inches.  He is one growing boy!


2 comments:

Ogday in Montana said...

I love, love, love that little guy!!! Thanks for the pics.

ann said...

My sister is having a baby next month, so I appreciate the tips! Also, her husband already lost one child to SIDS, so I'll definitely look into the sleep sack.