Monday, November 03, 2008

Atrophy

I have determined that my muscles (specifically my hamstrings) have atrophied recently. You may ask how a person knows when their muscles have atrophied. Well, faithful reader, I'm glad you asked. Over the past few weeks specifically I have done a ridiculous amount of sitting. Now granted I am a law student so I generally do an exorbitant amount of sitting, but lately this problem has been especially bad. Furthermore, I have not felt well lately (see prior post) and have cut back on the amount of exercise that I am getting. (You know things are bad when someone who considers them self to be sedentary is telling you they cut back on exercise!)

So with all of this how does a person know their muscles have atrophied. Well this weekend Clay and I took the dogs for a walk. Sadly we have missed our walks lately and so we walked them Saturday AND Sunday. And now I am so sore I can hardly stand up or sit down. (seriously this is KILLING me) My hamstrings have officially atrophied to the sitting position and to extend them to standing hurts more than I care to comment on. Now I'm stuck with a choice, do I force myself to walk more and work my muscles back to their prior glory (or lack there of) OR do I simply accept my fate. Considering the bar is coming and the MPRE is this weekend I think for now I shall accept my fate.

On a side note ...
DON'T FORGET TO VOTE TOMORROW!!!!!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I think you're just stuck in a sitting position for the rest of your life. You can learn to walk like that, too. You'll look like a duck, but it's much easier to learn to walk like a duck than to get hamstrings back in shape.

Tiffany said...

Push through! As a PT, I can tell you that if you push through and keep walking, you will get through this. If you stop, you will have to go through it all again.

Now, this is all coming from a very sedentary PT, so what I would really do is sit and nurse my soreness until it goes away. :)

Amanda said...

I think working through it is the best option, too. Lots and lots of stretching afterwards, too. In fact, I think that stretching in general may be a good key to helping the tightness in your muscles. I've read a lot of material about stretching several times throughout the day.

I think the walks are good, too - they're "couple" time and helps keep your muscles in shape. :) This is coming from the grad student who worked out like once a week...maybe...during the difficult parts of grad school (i.e. finals week, thesis...)

Oh yeah, and I'll be voting tomorrow. I hope to be at my polling place at 0800!! :)

A Farmer's Wife said...

I am sure that you will have those hamstrings of yours whipped into shape in no time at all...you are such a fit person!