Thursday, August 09, 2012

An Ode to Midwives

When I wrote my birth story I mentioned I could write a book on how wonderful our midwives were during the labor and delivery.  However, our midwives provided so many great services I thought I'd write a post advocating for the use of midwives and doulas during the pregnancy process.  I realize that a homebirth is not for everyone, but Clay and I both feel that our experience shows the benefits of a midwife even if you're planning a hospital birth.

Clay and I chose Community Midwife Services and we were so impressed with all of the midwives and doulas there.  When I started to look at the options for a home birth I found that there were several midwives in the OKC area, but I chose CMS because I liked the idea of using a team since a single midwife may be on vacation or get sick when the big day arrives.  Perhaps that was an unnecessary concern, but that was my thought.

Clay's primary concern when I brought up the idea of a homebirth was "what if something went wrong."  When we first met with CMS we learned that they had a backup plan for those situations and they had partnered with a local doctor to cover those situations.  Not all midwives had this service and that made Clay comfortable with the plan.

We were impressed with CMS from the first meeting.  Both Clay and I are very holistic when it comes to our health and the midwives fit with this philosophy.  During the first interview we discussed my nutrition and health and the impact on the pregnancy.  We hadn't even signed a contract with CMS and they were freely sharing information on diet and nutrition to ensure the pregnancy remained healthy and also to alleviate morning sickness.  They also encouraged me to continue to be active but provided guidance on what activities I should limit or watch to ensure I didn't hurt myself or cause any problems with the pregnancy.

Throughout the pregnancy Clay and I became well educated.  The midwives would recommend different books on natural childbirth and breastfeeding so that we could educate ourselves.  But also each appointment with them lasted at least an hour where we would discuss what was going on over the last few weeks and what to expect between then and our next appointment.  Clay and I left each appointment feeling prepared for the next step which eliminated any surprises along the way.

While the midwives were wonderful throughout the pregnancy, it was really during the labor and delivery process that we truly learned the value of the midwives.  We both agree that in the end we received far more service than we paid for. 

First, the midwives came to the house several times to check on me during the early stages of labor.  I mentioned I left work on Wednesday (a week before Pierce was born) with intense contractions.  The midwives came to the house Wednesday to check on my progress and again Thursday, Friday and Saturday.  Each time I had not progressed but they came all the way to the house to make sure things were fine.  It was so nice not having to leave the house or wait at a doctors office during this time.  Instead all of this was in the comfort of my own home.  In addition they constantly checked in on me with texts and phone calls. 

Once my water broke and labor was moving forward the midwives were an amazing team at the house.  During one of our appointments I had asked what to expect during a home delivery as far as clean up and taking care of the house.  After all, they are midwives, not housekeepers.  They told me their goal was to make it look like a stork had come and dropped off a baby. 

During the 31 hours of labor at the house the midwives prepared meals and snacks, washed loads of laundry, ensured Clay had opportunities to rest, and even went grocery shopping for us.  It was amazing all of the additional services they took care of to allow Clay and I just to focus on each other and the labor. 

While all of those services were wonderful (and somewhat expected), we were blown away at the services when we got to the hospital.  Since there had been no indications of complications we had never discussed what would happen at a hospital birth.  Prior to leaving the house Yvonne called the hospital to let them know we were coming.  She also briefed us on what to expect from hospital procedures to medical intervention. 

When we arrived at the hospital they were ready for us and had a room ready to go.  We didn't even have to check in except to provide my ID and insurance card.  Yvonne had all of my medical information and birth plan so she took care of all of the paperwork. 

Once we were in our room it was so nice to have the help of the midwives.  For instance, if I needed my bed linens changed I didn't have to wait for the hospital staff, Nikki or Yvonne just took care of it.  They were familiar with the hospital and knew where the supplies were kept.  In addition they acted as my advocate to ensure all of our needs were taken care of as soon as possible.  The maternity ward was completely full at the time and the nurses were very busy, but my midwives were able to go and track down a nurse or doctor when we needed their help instead of having to wait for them to get around to us.

A great example of this was when I decided to get my epidural.  I finally couldn't take having pitocin without any medication and wanted an epidural.  Apparently the anesthesiologist was just walking down the hall going room to room to take care of the women.  While I don't know this for sure, I'm pretty certain they bumped me up in line by going and getting the anesthesiologist and bringing him to me, instead of waiting for him to get to me. 

They also ensured Clay and I knew our rights while in the hospital.  Since I had not planned a hospital birth I hadn't researched our different options, but while we were there they let us know we didn't have to have any doctor or nurse that we weren't comfortable with.  We understood our rights to have things explained to us.  Most important we understood our rights to stay with Pierce after the birth. 

For example, when the pediatrician would come to see the babies, the hospital set him or her up in a room and brought the babies to him or her.  Every time Clay took Pierce to the doctor and didn't just let a nurse take him down.  Clay was always amazed that he would show up and there would be a dozen babies waiting but Clay would be the only parent.  Consequently Pierce would jump to the front of the line allowing Clay to bring him back right away. 

Finally, the follow up care was amazing.  When we returned home the midwives called and texted to check on us and make sure we didn't need anything.  Any time I had a question I could just call or text and get an immediate answer instead of having to go to the doctor's office or go back to the hospital.  They even provided an in home visit a few days after he was born to check on him and provide breast feeding support.  It was wonderful not to have to pack up and go somewhere. 

I know homebirths aren't for everyone, but I think it's important to know your options.  While you or a friend may not plan a homebirth it's also nice to know that midwives and doulas can provide excellent support in a hospital setting as well.  Clay and I are sure thankful we had their support!

3 comments:

ann said...

My only question is, do I have to be pregnant to have a midwife? Sounds awesome.

Unknown said...

Even if you're planning a hospital birth, I think midwives are the way to go. I actually liked both of my doctors for my first two babies, unfortunately, they were both out of town when I delivered. That's when the midwife *practice* comes in handy! That way everyone in the practice is kind of on the same page as far as natural birthing goes. Yay for midwives!

Unknown said...

We are glad you had a great experience with your midwife service. Thanks for the info.