I have recently discovered that I like cherries. For years I thought I disliked them. So the other day when Clay ploped down on the couch with a bowl full of cherries (unlike a bowl fully of jelly) I to prove to him how much I hated cherries by eating one. You may wonder why I chose to eat something I was fairly certain I hated... well that goes back to my childhood. Periodically througout my life my sister would double-dare me to try a food I knew I hated to prove that I still hated it (yes this is child logic). I'm not sure why we did this but I would take bites of sea food, bananas, or french fries thereby proving to myself (and others) that those foods do in fact still taste "yucky".
This same philosophy was applied to the cherry situation with Clay. Clay selected "the perfect cherry" and the next thing I know we can't buy enough cherries to keep up with my demand. Now knowing what a wonderful fruit the cherry is I realized the reason I thought cherries were gross was because I had affiliated ALL cherries with those Maraschino Cherries. Yes, I thought all cherries tasted like those sugar-coated nasty things they use to contaminate your milkshake.
My little discovery has left me wondering what other wonderful foods I'm missing out on because I believe they taste like a bad version of the same thing. So I'm renewing my vow to periodically taste the foods I'm certain I hate and do that with an open mind... except bananas! Yeah I'm sure they're still gross.
No comments:
Post a Comment